Russian-Ukrainian War, Kiev News: Live Updates

KHARKIV, Ukraine – The Ukrainian army was fighting a fierce battle on Friday to repel Russian forces from Ukraine’s second-largest city, Kharkiv, a day after a vicious fight littered the highway leading to the city with transporters of Russian troops burned and at least one body.

The troop transports had stopped at the entrance to the city, shaded by huge blue and yellow letters spelling out KHARKIV. Nearby, the body of a Russian soldier, dressed in a drab green uniform, lay on the side of the road, dusted with a light dusting of snow that fell overnight.

Soldiers sent to man the post had few details of the fight that took place, saying only that it happened Thursday morning, shortly after Russian President Vladimir V. Putin issued the order to ‘attack.

“Putin wants us to throw away our weapons,” said a Ukrainian soldier named Andrei, positioned in a hastily dug trench in the black mud by the side of the road. “I think we could operate more sneakily, gather our forces and launch a counterattack.”

In the distance, but close enough to be felt, artillery shells exploded. Russian forces, which crossed the border on Thursday from their staging area near Belgorod, about 40 miles from Kharkiv, gathered north of the city. It was unclear where or if they would advance.

Credit…Tyler Hicks/The New York Times

Most of the fighting seemed to take place a few miles from the city limits, near a village called Tsyrkuny. The number of military and civilian casualties resulting from the fighting is unclear, but on Friday local police said a 14-year-old boy was killed in a village near Kharkiv when a shell landed near his house . But strikes sometimes strike close enough to town to elicit cries of terror from pedestrians, sending them fleeing into subway stations for safety.

At a metro station in central Kharkiv, terrified residents were locked in for two days along with their babies, pets and the few personal belongings – blankets, yoga mats and a change of clothes – they could grab inside. short journeys home and back, during breaks in the shelling. The city parked trains in the station and allowed people to sleep in them.

Lidiya Burlina and her son, Mark, work in Kharkiv and were cut off from their home village, two hours away by train, when the Russians moved in. Since then, they have been living in the metro station. The city’s shops only operate in the morning, Ms. Burlina said, and there is very little bread, the price of which has risen dramatically in the two days since the start of the war. They cannot reach anyone in their village because the local power station has exploded.

“They’re sitting there in the cold, they can’t buy anything and there’s no heating,” Ms Burlina said. “And we are here in the subway.”

Victoria Ustinova, 60, sheltered in the subway with her daughter, two grandchildren and a fuzzy chihuahua named Beauty, who was wearing a sweater. The family could have taken refuge in the basement of their building, but from there the detonations of artillery and tanks could still be heard.

“When it all started it was a total shock, when you don’t know where to run and what to expect from ‘comrade’,” Ms Ustinova said, referring to Mr Putin. “Now we have already settled down. We accepted it and try to continue living. It was worse during World War II.

For her 13-year-old grandson, Danil, the main worry now is the possibility of a third world war.

“If things get totally heated, then Europe will join us, and if they start launching nuclear weapons, then that’s it,” he said.

On the surface, most shops and restaurants were closed and few people walked the streets. One of the few exceptions was Tomi Piippo, a 26-year-old man from the Finnish town of Iisalmi, who said he came to Kharkiv on vacation on Monday and could no longer go out.

“I don’t know how to leave. No planes,” he said.

As Russian officials said their military was trying to avoid civilian areas, the body of a Smerch rocket, which Ukrainian officials said had been fired by Russian forces, was stuck vertically in the middle of the street in front of National Guard headquarters. A few kilometers away, the rear part of the rocket had buried itself in the asphalt in front of an Orthodox church with an onion-shaped dome.

A team of emergency services officers, dressed in bulletproof vests and helmets, tried to extract the tail from the pavement, but encountered difficulty. A team member said the tail and the body were different stages of the rocket, likely jettisoned as the explosive ordnance rushed towards its target near the front lines.

“It’s 200 pounds of metal,” the ER officer said, pointing to the rocket story. “He could have fallen through a building or hit people.”

Even as the artillery barrage intensified, not everyone was ready to hide. Marching intently toward the source of the artillery barrages on the outskirts of Kharkiv was Roman Balakelyev, dressed in camouflage, a double-barreled shotgun slung over his shoulder.

“I live here, this is my home. I will defend him,” said Mr Balakelyev, who also pulled out a large knife he had strapped behind his back as if to show it. “I don’t think the Russians understand me the way I understand them.”

Soon after, Mr. Balakelyev reached the outskirts of the city, where Ukrainian troops were huddled around the abandoned Russian troop carriers. They watched him pass. No one moved to stop him. A soldier uttered: “Intention of victory.

Mr. Balakelyev, his gaze fixed and his shotgun at the ready, walked down the road towards the roadblocks and a large billboard that read: “Protect the future: UKRAINE-NATO-EUROPE”.

Comments are closed.